Thursday, July 24, 2008

In honor of Dee's Uncle





Today I was down at Bissell Park in Radford and met Dee and his cousin. Dee's uncle had just passed and the two of them had spent time with him throughout his life chasing big Smallies with him when on the New River. So today they decided, in memory and honor of him, they would go where he most likely would want to be, On the New River with them chasing Smallies.
It's so easy sometimes to forget that this passion we have has been very instrumental in the lessons of life and the tribal knowledge that is passed is only surpassed by the quality of time we spend together. Watching these two have a lights out day really reminded me that it's really not about the fishing but about the memories and the people we become between the tugs. Today is today live it like there is no tommorrow. Flavor to the bone...Marinate in honor of..
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so true. I fish because my grandparents took the time to teach me. I fish because my Dad loves it. Some of my best memories are being out in a boat with my Dad and Aunt and Uncle laughing and catching fish.

This is a beautiful post and a good reminder.

Holly Heyser said...

Amen!

Unlike Kristine, though, I fish and hunt because my boyfriend got me into it, and I'm grateful for that. I know my dad and my grandparents did some fishing and hunting, but no one really passed it down, and all it takes is one generation to lose it.

Labels